Skip to content

Faculty Resources

Faculty Resources

Students who are interested in participating in study abroad have unique advising needs because there are specific policies that may or may not apply depending on the international experience, the time-frame, and other factors. The information provided here is to help you understand the academic policies, participant expectations, and important forms you need to be aware of as you advise interested students. 

Note: Be aware that Study Abroad Advising is conducted by International Programs & Services (IPS) staff. Meeting with an academic advisor to discuss study abroad does not complete advising requirements to apply to a program. All interested students should connect with our office to complete the Advising Checklist and meet with IPS staff. 

Contact Information: Link to IPS Staff Directory
Main Office Line: 717-871-7506

Important Information:

‚Äč‚ÄčMillersville students are required to work through IPS for any international experience that is designated as MU-Related International Travel. International travel is considered MU-related if one or more of the following applies: 

  • It is sponsored, arranged, endorsed, promoted, or administered by the university, or by university faculty or staff.
  • It is financed, in full or part, through MU funding, scholarships, or sponsorship.  
  • It is credit-bearing, or the travel is necessary for meeting a course or degree requirement, including research at MU.  
  • The travel is directly related to a university-sponsored grant or contract. 
  • Travel is undertaken by a registered student organization affiliated with or representing MU.

Timeline & Eligibility

It is recommended that students work with our office at least 1 year prior to their preferred study abroad term. The first term will be used to complete study abroad advising and then the students will apply the term before they go abroad. Information on the timeline is posted on our website here. Eligibility criteria and participant expectations are posted on our website here

Program Types
Millersville students may participate in a wide variety of program types including: 
  • Traditional study abroad: Earning academic credit abroad.
  • Professional experience: Internships, social work or student teaching placements
  • MAPS: Marauders Abroad Programs: faculty-led short term programs
  • Research or independent studies
  • Travel Registry: Independent non-credit travel, including international conferences, performances, athletics events or training, club/organization trip. 
If none of Millersville's offerings interest the students, they may apply to a Build-Your-Own program, which allows them to apply to study abroad programs through other U.S. universities or directly to international universities or programs. Information on program types is posted on our website here

Academic Advising and Study Abroad

Transfer Credit Policies: There are very particular transfer credit policies students must be aware of prior to applying to study abroad. While these policies are reviewed with students during Study Abroad Advising, one of the policies is recommended for students to review with their academic advisor, the %50 transfer credit rule. This rule limits the number of credits in a student's major and/or minor that they can transfer to MU. Be sure to review the student's Degree Audit carefully so that study abroad won't affect their graduation eligibility. To view all of the Study Abroad Academic Policies view our website here.

Making Academic Progress: Study abroad is easier to fit into a student's academic plan the earlier they begin working with IPS on their Advising Checklist. Students may take many of their General Education requirements abroad, but G1s and G3s are particularly recommended due to the wide availability of course offerings. Students may take courses abroad for their major or minor as well, but must work even more closely with their advisors to plan and approve courses a head of time. View our academic tips for students on our website here

Course Approval and Transfer of Credit:

Students are required to submit a Study Abroad Transfer of Credit Form as part of their study abroad application. They may need to update this form at least one additional time before their international transcript is processed upon their return to the U.S. The form has been simplified and marked to clearly identify what the student should complete, what the advisor or Department Chair should complete, and what IPS will complete during processing.

IPS is responsible for evaluating the international credentials, including designating equivalencies for credit and grades. Students are informed of how the credit is equated prior to participation and that information can be requested at any time by emailing our office. 

Academic advisors/Department Chairs are responsible for designating a course code (Example: BUAD 101 or BUAD 2XX) for each course the student lists on their form. They must also provide a note for the Degree Audit Area to mark how the course would help the student make academic progress. This is a requirement from the Office of Financial Aid and assists IPS in processing the international transcript. 

If the course falls outside of your academic department, you and/or the student should work with the other department to provide an equivalency. The form must be signed by the participant's academic advisor and department chair. No additional proof or documentation is needed by the third party/other academic department. The signatures on the form signify that all course on the form have been reviewed and approved. The form and instructions can be found on our website here

Important Documents/Links:

International Travel Policy
Study Abroad Transfer of Credit Form
MAPS Proposal Program Overview
MAPS Proposal Program Risk Assessment
MAPS Proposal Budget Worksheet
MAPS Program Leader Financial Guide
MAPS Evaluation Rubric
MAPS Receipt Template
Export Control Checklist
PASSHE: Compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws
PASSHE: PowerPoint on Export Controls