Skip to content

Program Types

What is education abroad? Education, including but not limited to enrollment in courses, experiential learning, internships, service learning, and other learning activities, which occurs outside the participant's home country, the country in which they are enrolled as a student, or the country in which they are employed as personnel. See the Forum on Education Abroad Website for full definition. 

Study Abroad encompasses many different kinds of programs. In order to better understand the terminology the Office of International Programs & Services (IPS) will use during the advising process, see below for a list of the various kinds of study abroad:
MU has a relationship with several international universities. An exchange program allows a student from Millersville and a student from the host university to trade places for a semester or an academic year. Current exchange partners are listed below: 

Note: An immersion program indicates that it is language focused, or that a certain language proficiency is needed to attend. 

Australia: University of the Sunshine Coast (Exchange)
Brazil: University Center of Anápolis (Exchange)
Chile: Pontificia Universidad Católica De Valparaíso (Exchange)
China: Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics (Exchange) 
France: University of Caen Normandy (Exchange) - Immersion Program
IUSP Philipps University Marburg (Exchange)
Philipps University Marburg (Exchange) - Immersion Program
Japan: Kansai Gaidai University (Exchange)
Universidad de Burgos (Exchange) - Immersion Program
Universidad Pública de Navarra (Exchange) - Immersion Program
South Africa: University of KwaZulu-Natal  (Exchange)
South Korea: Chonnam National University (Exchange)
The Netherlands: Saxion University of Applied Sciences (Exchange)
United Kingdom: University of Strathclyde (Exchange) 
MU has a relationship with several international universities. MU students receive a small discount to attend direct university partners during a semester. These also include summer programs where students pay the university directly. Current partners are listed below: 

The American Business School Paris 
The American Business School Paris Summer
University of Caen Normandy Summer
Germany: ISU Philipps University Marburg Summer
Japan: Kansai Gaidai University Summer
South Korea: Chonnam National University Summer
United Kingdom:
London Metropolitan University 
London Metropolitan University Summer - Coming Soon! 
Queen's University Belfast 
Queen's University Belfast Summer
Affiliated programs are generally run by a third party organization or program provider. IPS has a direct relationship with the organization, and in turn, the organization has direct relationships with international universities.

Students participating in these programs take their courses at the Affiliates' partner institutions or centers with other international students and/or locals (depending on the program). Students typically receive program advising directly by the affiliated organization rather than MU staff. Interested students should consult the specific Affiliate’s program website for detailed program and cost information. However, you will first apply to study abroad through Millersville University's study abroad portal. 

MU is connected to three program providers with international institutions.
1. American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS Abroad)
2. International Studies Abroad (ISA by Worldstrides)
3. Maryville University's summer MOSAIC program
If you are looking for a shorter study abroad program, or a more guided experience, you can participate in a MAPS: Millersville Abroad Program. These programs are typically between 1-3 weeks in length. They are guided experiences led by Millersville staff or faculty, who take a group of students, alumni, or community members abroad. These can be for credit or not for credit. To see current available programs, visit the MAPS: Millersville Abroad Programs page

Types of MAPS Programs:
1. Discipline-Focused: Course integration or subject-specific experiences. 
2. Skill Development: Foster essential skills, leadership, or team-building through hands-on experience. 
3. Intercultural: Emphasize cultural exploration and cultural immersion.
4. Service Learning: Community-driven service projects and hands-on exposure to local cultures. 
There are several ways to gain professional “hands-on” experience in another culture, all while boosting your resume! International internships are available to almost all majors and minors. Students may intern abroad for a semester or a summer session. Additional eligibility requirements apply*. 

South Africa: VACorps
Other Locations: Global Experiences
Education majors can complete half of their student teaching placement for certification in an international location. They can also participate in semester or summer placements depending on the school calendar in the host country. These are possible in over 65 different countries. Additional eligibility requirements apply*. 

South Africa: VACorps
Sweden: Internationella Engelska Skolan
Other Locations: Educators Abroad
Social Work majors can complete their senior field placements in pre-approved sites in: Cape Town, South Africa, London, England and Dublin, Ireland. Additional eligibility requirements apply*. 

South Africa: VACorps
England & Ireland: Global Experiences
Research experiences allow students to conduct independent research, or assist in faculty research abroad. Only Millersville's IRB can give approval to conduct research, however IPS may need to approve your international travel. 

- If you are earning credit through an independent study class for the research you conduct, you will complete an application to approve the international travel.
- If you are only traveling to conduct the research, and will use it in the future for a class, honors thesis, Made in Millersville, or other reasons, you will only need to register your international travel through a Travel Registry. 
If you wish to pursue a study abroad destination beyond the pre-approved program offerings, you may choose to study abroad through another university’s programs or study abroad company. These programs must be approved by IPS during Advising. Below are the steps to find alternative programs:

Research study abroad programs:
Search other Pennsylvania State System Universities' programs: PASSHE Study Abroad Website
Search study abroad databases such as IIE Passport Guide
Search other US university programs. 
Apply directly to international universities.
Piece together several programs. (Ex. Two summer programs; a winter and a spring program)

When choosing a program there are many factors to keep in mind:
Program location
Program costs: Determine what is included (ex. housing, meals, airport pick-up, excursions, activities, etc.)
GPA requirements 
Language proficiency
Course offerings: 
Make note of who is issuing the transcript. In order to transfer credit to Millersville, credit must be issued by an accredited university. (In some cases you may be required to pay an additional fee for this.)

Note: If your program has a deadline that is earlier than Millersville's application deadlines, you will be given an earlier specific deadline.
A Travel Registry is designed for independent or solo travel by students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members participating in Millersville University-related travel, or may be traveling individually with an MU faculty or staff member. Examples of such travel may include but are not limited to:
- Attending or participating at an international conference
- Attending or participating in a performance or show
- Independently participating in a service learning project
- Independently participating in athletic events or training
- Student-led travel for an MU club or organization (Ex. A religious club on a missions trip)
- Participating in international research (When not part of a credit-bearing class)

To read more information visit Travel Registry.
Domestic study abroad allows students to study in the U.S. and U.S. territories through the National Student Exchange program - Coming Soon

Virtual study abroad allows students to take an online class, and earn credit, through an international university while remaining in the U.S. IPS promotes virtual study abroad programs with an included cultural component. Cultural components may include virtual engagement with local students, cultural gifts, or others.